Thursday, April 2, 2009


Okay okay it has been way too long since i have done this. I am going to try and update a bit more frequent. Life has changed a lot in the last six months or so. I changed jobs (the main reason I dont update this as regularly) I bought a condo, and most importantly I have caught a lot of fish. Oh yeah, I also have a bullet hole in my windshield now.

I want to thank the people at the Wasatch Fly Fishing and Tying Expo who came up to me and commented on this blog. It was very surreal, I have never really put too much time or thought into this and did not thing anyone other then the people I have sent it to read it. I didn't really think they read it. Well thank you, you are the reason I am getting back into it. If you are reading this introduce yourself to me again. I forgot your names, I met so many amazing people that weekend. I feel very lucky to have been a part of such a neat event. I hope to hold a part in it for the upcoming years.

Well for updates on fishing lets see. I did not spend much time fishing over the winter, I hate the cold. I did spend a few uneventful days on the water though. The last trip I can think of that anyone might want to know about was last weekend.

A few months ago at a 187 rally I ran into an old friend from high school Matt Lucas. I didnt know he was a fisherman then, and I was quite happy to run into him. We exchanged numbers and spent a few days getting our asses kicked on local waters.

I spent a lot of time talking about the waters I really liked to fish in Idaho and he kept talking about the steelheading up there. I was heading up to Boise for a concert and talked him into coming along . We fished three waters in northern Idaho and western Oregon. We did not catch many fish but we caught some really big ones. Matt caught a brown that went 25" and had to of weighed all of a pound and a half. It was one of the silliest fish I have ever seen It could have been an eel. That fish fought the hell out of him and was quite a decent looking fish for how damn silly it looked. I also took a large brown off that river that made my trip. I got him right to hand when he broke me off. He was in the 22" to 24" range and beautiful and fat. He took a 22 midge. I have been a 20/20 member for quite a while, but the 22/22 is new. If only I can take a 32" fish on a bunny midge. Cheech, I really want to figure a way to make this happen. The easiest way I can think of is to make some sort of a small streamer or egg pattern with a #32 trailer hook. Rediculous.

That day in Oregon was preluded by a crazy night of drinking, there was a great bitch slap (me hitting Matt). Lots of beer, lots of laughs, some falling down, and just plain trouble. We were very lucky not to have woken up with black eyes. Sunday we tried to meet up with a few of Matts friends in Challis. We would have made it in time too if it was not for the foot of snow. Over the night in Boise there was a crazy wind storm. I woke a few times that night and looked out the window to snow flying sideways and kept thinking we would just go home. When it was time for coffee and cruelers the wind and snow had stopped. We started our journey through the Sawtooth Mountain range. HOLY FUCK what a joke. We turned around at one point only to realize the way back down was unpassable too. A two hour drive turned into around 5 or 6. The snow was so bad we had to get out and remove snow from his wheel wells because it was building up and bogging down the car. He has an Outback!?!? The snow was crazy. We finally made it to Stanley alive. We were both overly stressed and thankful to be seeing blacktop again. We fished our way down to Challis and were not having luck. At the final hole of the day we finnally dialed it in. I caught my FIRST!!!!! steelhead and Matt took a few others. I also caught a crazy sucker out of that hole also. He rose a few times. It was strange. When he took I thought I had a small steelhead. When he rose I thought it may be a brown, because I could tell the coloring was off. There are no browns in the Salmon that I know of though. Matt kept saying I had a Bull Trout. I knew it was not a Bull trout because of the colors also. After three rises, one a few feet out of the water, we still had no idea i had only hooked a huge sucker. I sure was a sour boy when I landed him. He was really fun though. So eh...

Well I think I am for the most part caught up. I am headed north again this weekend if anyone wants to come. But for a recap, I had a great trip with Lucas, big fish although not too many of them. I will find a few pictures.
Wow, that fish looks small in the picture. Stupid pictures. I also forgot the hell storm that chased us off the river, and the crazy amount of wildlife we saw. Blacktail deer, mulies, elk, snow geese, canadian geese, too many ducks, a fox, a coyote, and a lot of steelhead gulping air. Does anyone know why they do this?


mike doughty said...

congrats. on your first steelie colby. mine and my old roomies first trip up to idaho for steelhead was to salmon and we didn't catch steelhead. i did get some strange though, that has to count for something. haha. if you get a chance head up to the s.f. clearwater for the 'b' runs. they are not chrome bright but they are strong.